I know, I know…this doesn’t fall under the Mediterranean umbrella, but who doesn’t crave Mexican food? If you’re experiencing an abundance of snow like me, this recipe is good to heat you up and keep you satisfied!
~*Mexicana Chicken Soup*~
You will need:
~One can of red or black beans (I used red kidney beans)
~1/2 bag of frozen corn
~Two chicken breasts- thawed
~One can of red Enchilada sauce
~One can of diced tomatoes
~One 32 oz carton of low sodium chicken stock
~One medium yellow onion
~One cup of jalapeños and chopped chiles (I used canned)
~Two fresh green hot peppers
~2 Bay leaves
~two cloves of garlic
~one tbsp olive oil
~Chopped fresh cilantro
~Shredded Mexican blend cheese
`1. Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crock pot. Season with a pinch of garlic salt, a pinch of sea salt and a sprinkling of cracked black pepper and cumin. Add paprika and chili powder to taste (I like it spicy, so I probably added around a tbsp of each. Add bay leaves.
2. On top of the chicken, add the beans, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, onion, peppers, and jalapeños.
3. Add the olive oil to a heated skillet. Chop up the garlic and sauté until golden brown.
4. Add the chicken stock and cooked garlic with the olive oil into the crock pot.
5. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. In the final hour of cooking, shred the chicken with two forks.
6. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, Mexican blended cheese, and if desired baked tortilla strips (cut a tortilla into strips, season, and bake on 350 until crispy).
♥ Buon appetito! ♥